What is exfoliation?
It’s a question many of our clients are keen to know the answers to.
It encourages the cellular renewal process. Fixed
It keeps skin looking fresh and healthy. Got you covered.
It helps beneficial ingredients, to penetrate deeper. Yep it does that too.
As you can see it brings a myriad of benefits to your skin, so join us as we dive into the elements of exfoliation and how it can help your skin.
The benefits of exfoliation
- Unclogs pores
- Removes oil and shine
- Boosts collagen production
- Lightens sunspots on skin
- Improves skin tone and texture
- Removes dull, flaky skin
- Brings nutrients to the surface
- It reduces the appearance of fine lines
What is exfoliation
The general principle is that you are removing dead skin cells, the skin does have its own natural cellular process of exfoliation, technically referred to in the skincare industry as desquamation.
However, to constantly keep your skin youthful, it’s important to aid in the removal of old cells that cling to the skin’s outermost surface, especially as we age, because this natural shedding process begins to slow down.
When skin cells don’t shed they start to build upon the skin’s surface, this can lead to premature ageing, uneven texture, and dull, sallow skin. A build-up of skin cells can clog the skin’s pores, which can lead to breakouts.
if you have dehydration, then exfoliation should become an important part of your beauty routine – a subject we discuss in greater detail in the clear skin difference.
Cellular processes slow as we age
- Skin loses its resilience and bounce, due to a significant decrease in elastin and our internal scaffolding collagen
- From the age of 25, our body’s natural response is to slow down its exfoliation rate
- The production of the all-important lipids in our skin begins to reduce, which can compromise barrier repair
- Estrogen is prevalent in young women but reduces with age, which can thin and dry the skin
- Blood flow and nourishment to the skin’s tissues begin to significantly reduce, causing the skin to become dull
So as you can see, it is really important to keep encouraging your own cellular renewal cycle.
Fortunately, there are a number of different modalities and treatments that can help you with this process, all of these questions on exfoliation and more have been answered here.
The philosophy at the core of the naked chemist brand is all about gentle exfoliating treatments, that won’t cause inflammation in the skin – which we believe is at the route cause of all ageing.