Most of our skincare advice revolves around how to fix, minimise, or control skin types and concerns you’re struggling with.
But what if you’re one of those lucky people that have normal skin with no visible signs of imperfections?
A question often asked by our clients is, “if my skin is not showing any signs of premature ageing, dryness, oiliness, or sensitivity, then what’s the impetus for me to invest time and money in a skincare routine?” – or in other words, if it isn’t broken, why should I fix it?
An Ounce of Prevention
Just like a house is enclosed by walls, your body is covered by the skin – a living organ that is forever changing. If these walls show leaks due to a lack of mortar, then water and pollutants can penetrate, causing skin conditions and the deterioration of your skin’s health.
When caring for normal skin, the real challenge is learning to preserve its natural equilibrium and keeping the barrier function intact – with the help of suitable products; optimally guaranteeing its protection and prevention.
In essence, taking care of your normal skin is about listening to its unique requests and getting in front of the skin problems you don’t currently have.
Take hyperpigmentation for instance; you may not initially see the signs of sun damage from not wearing sunscreen, but it will nonetheless show up much later on in the form of dark brown spots when the damage is irreversible.
Our advice? If your skin isn’t overly sensitive, oily, or dry, keep it that way with a healthy skincare routine. Protect your skin from damage and feed it the right nutrients and ingredients it needs today, rather than waiting for your naturally normal complexion to be thrown into a state of disorder.
Let’s look at some of the things that can knock your protective barrier function off balance and could potentially create a skin type you don’t want:
- The natural ageing process depletes natural ingredients that keep our skin healthy, such as Hyaluronic Acid, Urea, Sodium PCA, Ceramides, and Fatty Acids.
- Environmental assaults create free radicals that cause a cycle of destruction on your skin; breaking down collagen and elastin, our internal scaffolding.
- Harsh skincare products and treatments can upset the Acid Mantle – the delicate layer of microflora on the skin – causing sensitivity and inflammation.
Six steps to care for your normal skin
So, what do you really need for healthy, happy skin?
1. Wash, rinse, repeat
The rule of thumb is, if you’re going to spend 30 minutes putting on your makeup, you should take the same amount of care when cleaning it off.
Miracle Cleanse protects as it cleanses, turning into a luxurious liquid-gold vitamin fix upon contact with your skin, which turns your face into a delicate porcelain sponge that will soak in every last drop of ingredients that are to come.
2. Exfoliate but don’t sabotage
Apply sparingly sometimes! Over-exfoliation with scrubbing bubbles is a real problem, causing serious micro-tearing of your skin.
If your skin is normal, it should be exfoliating naturally, so it is probably all you need once a week.
3. Use targeted treatments
We build bespoke skincare routines for all of our clients; the art of layering is the key to the success of this. We start by deciding which active ingredients we want to combine for our client’s particular skin type.
Look upon this step as a supplement for an extra efficacy boost to your skincare, because your skin is unique. Take a moment, and think about what your skin really needs:
- For preventative measures, particular emphasis should be laid on having a stable skin barrier. This can be achieved with Bio Lipid Complex, a nutrient-rich skin shot containing Fatty Acids, Ceramides, and Vitamins.
- Skin hydration and preserving your skin’s natural moisturising factor (NMF) is one of the most important factors for healthy skin. H₂O Hydrating Complex combines water-loving Hyaluronic with Urea, helping to hydrate your skin.
- For an anti-ageing boost, and to help maintain the contour of your normal skin, try A+ Retinoid Complex.
4. Fortify your skin’s scaffolding
A well-thought-out moisturiser containing skin-identical ingredients will replenish missing ingredients and lock in water to the outermost layer, creating a smooth, hydrated barrier. In practice, this means skin looks bright, dewy, and luminous.
5. SPF every day. Forever. Non-negotiable
UV damage is a silent killer for skin health, accounting for as much as 90 per cent of premature ageing and dark spots. So, no matter the weather, make sure to wear a broad-spectrum SPF to protect your skin from harmful UVA and UVB rays.
6. That 24/7 glow
Load up on antioxidants to protect against pollution. The free radical damage that pollution brings attacks healthy cells, causing oxidative stress that leads to premature ageing.
Add an antioxidant serum to your skincare routine, as it will help defend even normal skin against the environment.
Now that you have a good idea of what normal skin is, how to identify it, and – most importantly – how to care for it, don’t be tempted to fall into a rut and cruise on autopilot when it comes to your skincare routine.
Really paying attention to what you’re putting on your face, and treating each component as a vital piece in the puzzle, is pivotal in keeping your skin healthy and looking younger for longer.
For further reading on understanding normal skin, follow the link.