Do you suffer from dry, flaky skin?
Then you will know it can be an extremely frustrating skin type to treat.
Therefore a good treatment with oil rich ingredients is important, because treating a dry skin is complex, implementing a well thought out skin care routine is a good place to start.
DRY SKIN TREATMENT
If you are suffering from dry skin, the following skin treatment advice you may find useful.
- Avoid taking long hot baths or showers, the extreme temperature will upset your skins natural lipids. This loss of oil only makes dry skin conditions worse
- Keep your skin well lubricated with effective emollients, which will help to reconstitute the hydro-lipid film of the stratum corneum, the outer layer of skin
- Never use an alcohol based moisturiser, this strips the acid mantle and impairs the skins protective barrier function
- Make sure all your skin care products are pH balanced, throw out your products and bar of soap which all have a high pH, as this will strip the skin, and avoid the use of drying, volatile alcohols such as isopropyl. Instead opt for products with ceramides and nourishing fatty acids, which are repairing and healing
- Never over stimulate the skin by rubbing it, dry skin is especially sensitive to contact irritants. Gentle exfoliation will help to remove dead skin cells that have adhered to the skins surface, encouraging penetration of your moisturiser
- Your skin is the last organ to receive water, so also look for a formula with humectants, these work by drawing water from the atmosphere and locking moisture into the skins tissues thus increasing hydration, which helps to maintain a healthy clear skin
- Avoid buying skin care products that contain heavy fragrances, as they may cause inflammation, especially if your skin is slightly sensitised
- Get used to using serums, a term referred to as layering in the industry, that will help to keep your skin protected, supple and really moisturised
If you are keen to find out about important ingredients specifically designed for a dry skin, follow the link here.