- It’s your armou
- Your protection
- Your genetic heritage
Therefore you need to preserve it and take really good care of it.
Just think about all of the external elements, your body comes into contact with on a daily basis.
- Make up
- The weather
- Ultra violet light
- Environmental assaults
- Changes in temperature
Your skin protects you from invading assaults, working as a barrier, preventing invading microbes from the outside world.
It also makes a pigment known as melanin, a chemical that works like little tiny umbrellas, protecting your skin from damaging ultraviolet light.
ALL HAIL HUMAN SKIN
Below are just a few of the functions that your awesome skin carries out on a daily basis:
- It’s a detoxification organ
- It protects your inner organs
- It moderates your core temperature
- It synthesis Vitamin D from the sun
- It helps to excrete toxins through sweat
- It helps to keep chronic conditions and infections at bay
- Your skin helps to shut out invading bacteria and viruses
- It is your bodies first line of defense against external aggressors
- Human skin contains lipids or oils, that keep it naturally moisturised
- It constantly keeps tabs on what is going on inside your internal environment
- It intelligently responds to what you eat, what you put on it and what you drink
- It maintains it’s integrity, by constantly repairing itself while you are sleeping
- It tans and creates melanin, to protect you from damaging UV rays and photo aging
- It’s so absorbent you can apply medical patches, that help topical drugs go to the source
- It is a mirror to the outside world, letting you know of any imbalances within your body, which often show up in your skin
- It cleverly plays a dual role, it has a semi permeable membrane that traps in water and keeps it hydrated, whilst also allowing water to evaporate when you sweat keeping your skin well balanced
- It contains cells that are fantastic communication systems, telegraphing health and illness, pleasure or pain
So I think you’ll agree when I say, your skin really is amazing.