Free Shipping on Orders over $250 with DHL or Fedex Express.

Everything You Need to Know About Skincare in Your 50’s

Beautiful skin knows no age limits!

And when you hit your 50s, guess what? It’s your golden decade!

But hey, we get it – change can be a tad unwelcome sometimes.

So, consider us your skin’s BFFs here to spill the beans on what to expect.

We’ll also guide you on keeping your skin flawless and glowing.

Ready to dive into the world of skincare for the fabulous 50s club? Let’s go

Hello, Skin Changes

As you step into your 50s, you begin to notice the following changes in your skin:

  • Wrinkles that tell your life story
  • Hello enlarged pores
  • Hyperpigmentation (hello, sunspots)
  • A hint of dryness and dehydration
  • Sensitivity and irritation
  • A bit of a droop – it’s gravity’s way of saying hello

If you are keen to delve deeper into your skin’s science and understand how these structural changes affect your skin as you age, we have dedicated an entire article to it, which you can read here.

The Lowdown on Aging Skin at 50

So, what’s really happening?

As collagen and elastin deplete, your skin becomes thinner and less bouncy. Lines, forehead wrinkles, crow’s feet, and jowls appear more pronounced.

These changes happen because your internal scaffolding – the collagen and elastin fibres break down, causing your skin to lose its youthfulness.

Plus, don’t forget about the hormonal shift during menopause; testosterone begins to take centre stage as estrogen diminishes. During this time, your collagen production can drop by as much as a whopping 70%, leaving your skin with just 30% of what it used to have. Thanks, hormones!

As if that wasn’t enough, vital ingredients like hyaluronic acid, ceramides, and cholesterol start to reduce – you can lose up to 50% of natural hyaluronic acid, which is there to keep your skin hydrated and plump.

Now, as if all of this is not enough, remember those sun-kissed days of your youth? Well, they’re back – in the form of age spots, hyperpigmentation, sensitivity, inflammation, broken capillaries, and even crepey skin ouch.

We hear you – it’s like a symphony of skin issues, leaving your complexion even more uneven and dull.

Level Up Your Skincare Game

Now, this is where the where the fun begins! Your 50s are about levelling up your skincare routine to give your skin the replenishing love it deserves.

1. Dark spots and uneven texture: Embrace these challenges with open arms. Gentle peels with ingredients like lactic, mandelic or glycolic acid can be your secret weapons. But don’t go overboard with your peels – once a month, preferably in winter, will do the trick.

2. Oiliness and pores: If ageing has brought out the oil-secreting glands on your face, making pores more visible, then niacinamide and retinol are your friends here, minimising pore size while offering many other anti-ageing, skin-loving benefits.

3. Expression lines: Want to tackle those lines and wrinkles? Look for products with retinol like A+ complex or fancy a more natural alternative approach, then apply generous amounts of rosehip oil – a natural source of retinoic acid, encouraging your cells to keep up the good work.

4. Embrace antioxidants: Let’s combat those pesky free radicals that love hanging out on your skin, causing your skin to age prematurely. Vitamin C, Q10, green tea extract, and grape seed extract are all antioxidants to help your skin’s natural repair mechanisms.

5. Sun savvy: A little reminder – sunscreen is still your BFF. Anti-ageing ingredients, like retinoids and resurfacing treatments, can make your skin more sensitive to UV radiation. So, keep protecting your skin.

6. Hydration: Keep your skin hydrated with humectant-rich products. Ingredients like flax seed extract and hyaluronic acid work wonders in retaining moisture and keeping your skin soft and supple.

7. Eyes on the Prize: Your eyes deserve special attention because the skin around them is extremely delicate, and it’s where lines and creases hang out. Treat yourself to an eye cream packed with Vitamin A precursors and antioxidants. With our Miracle eye cream, you can say hello to fewer fine lines and plumper skin around your eyes – it’s like magic in a jar.

7. Fight Inflammation: Keep inflammation at bay because this is the one thing that will cause your skin to age prematurely, which we wrote about in detail here.

9. Lipid Love: Our skin loses essential ingredients like ceramides, cholesterol and lipids as we age. Our Barrier repair balm is extremely replenishing, restoring essential lipids and banishing dryness.

Hopefully, with these tips, you’ll be well on your way to achieving that enviable youthful glow.

To conclude. The naked truth

Entering your 50s does mean welcoming new conditions in your skincare journey.

The natural ageing process can lead to wrinkles, enlarged pores, and dark spots, and your skin may become thinner, drier, and more prone to sagging over time – all of which can cause your skin to lose its youthful resilience.

Menopause brings its own challenges with hormonal shifts – estrogen drops and testosterone also kick in; this transition can reduce collagen production by a staggering 70%, leaving your skin with just 30% of its former structure, making it appear lax.

Vital ingredients like hyaluronic acid also begin to dwindle, resulting in up to a 50% loss of natural hyaluronic acid, which is crucial for hydration and keeping your skin plump.

Your skin will continue to thin, dry, and sag” as your 50s progress, which is why it is important to introduce a skincare routine that will replenish these ingredients that diminish with age.

Consider introducing topicals like our Reset ageing cream if your skin is thinning, our DNA age delay complex, or a replenishing moisturiser like Fortify Barrier Repair.

It’s important to realise it’s not all doom and gloom as you move into your 50s; instead, see it as an excellent opportunity to switch up your routine to turn back the hands of time.

Embrace cosmeceuticals, harness the power of skin rejuvenation, and know that truly radiant skin really does await.

3 thoughts on “Everything You Need to Know About Skincare in Your 50’s

    • Samantha Miller says:

      Hi Sandra
      My skincare range is due to be released in the net few months, I will also be shipping to the U.S.
      So glad you liked the information and thankyou for letting me know it keeps me inspired to keep on my educational quest for my customers.
      Kind regards


  1. Jakon says:

    Great tips some time we ignore ourselves as we get older, but we have to pay attention to our skin. Thanks for this useful information.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.