There really is no point in slicking your nails with color, if they are not in good condition to begin with.
The following professional spa manicure and pedicure advise, will help you put your best hand and foot forward, so you can have nails to be proud of.
- Ensure you keep your cuticles nourished, by applying a conditioning cream or oil, this will help seal in moisture preventing spitting and flaking, a tiny drop of almond is a great alternative
- In the beauty world we are against cutting cuticles, this goes for both a manicure and pedicure. Cutting the cuticle causes them to grow back thicker and stronger. Instead soak your nails in warm soapy water, which will help to soften them
- Next apply some cuticle cream and gently push back the cuticles with an orange wood stick, any dry skin that has adhered to the nail should naturally flake away
Filing Know How . A beautifully shaped nail adds grace to any hand. When carrying out a manicure, in order to create the most balanced effect,the shape of your nail should conform to your fingertips
- Keep your nails slightly square or oval not pointed. This will help to prevent them from breaking
- Square nails evoke masculinity. Short square nails shorten and widen your hands
- If you file low into the corners and at the sides, this will weaken them
- File gently in one long stroke, from the side to the centre of the nail and then the other side. This will prevent them from splitting and help you to create the perfect shape
- The classic length that suits most nails are just over the fingertip
- A great tip if you are green fingered, is to drag your nails over a bar of soap. This way your nails fill up with soap and not dirt, which is far easier to clean
- If you have very weak nails paint your base coat and nail polish under the tips, which will help to give it added strength
- A technique for repairing a split nail is to use a very fine piece of paper and glue it over the tear, then gently buff and cover with polish
- If you have lovely long nails, then just about any color will work for you, including dramatic reds
- Short nails look more sophisticated with neutral paler colours, such as light beige and champagne
- Nail colors that are close to your skin color, will also help to elongate your hands
- Clear pastel and natural french manicure designs, are always appropriate and never go out of fashion
- Alternatively if you love that natural look just apply a top coat, this will give your nails a sophisticated look. For a little more drama try a pearl color for evening, it will also give you that added shimmer
- If you find bold colors too strong on your hands, than just add a bold color to your toes instead. A glimpse of wonderful color on your toes will really help to set your outfit off
Hand and Foot Care
- Avoid using acetone nail polish remover, as it can be very drying on the skin and strip the nails of its essential moisture
- A great pedicure and manicure tip is to apply cream every time you paint your nails, the oils in the cream will help to lock in moisture to your nails
- The biggest reason people get soft nails is due to over exposure to water, so wear rubber gloves where at all possible
- There is nothing like a good pedicure to treat the feet, as professionally groomed feet look so much tidier
- When carrying out a pedicure, ensure that you file calluses and moisturise regularly, consider visiting a chiropodist every so often for maintenance
- If you don’t like your toes and want people to notice you and not your toes, keep the focus up by avoiding brightly coloured toes that draw the focus down.
Now that you are equipped with the tips, book yourself a night in and treat yourself to an at home manicure and pedicure, in order to give your hands and feet the pampering they deserve.