The phrase “I’m doing a detox” has become commonplace these days.
There are thousands of detox diets and programs.
Many promising quick fixes and immediate weight loss.
If you are partial to an occasional bowl of fries and a fizzy drink, then it’s a tough reality to face, these are not helping how your skin looks.
What has this to do with beauty, you may ask? Well, everything – if it’s total skin rejuvenation you are after.
It is important to adapt your diet to your skin cleansing goals. The benefits of which you can read all about here,
A detox is a process of removing unwanted substances from the body – it is an ongoing, important process that your body does independently to keep healthy.
The main detoxification organs are:
- liver and kidneys
- bowels and urinary tract – waste exits the body via these pathways
- our skin detoxifies through sweat and the lungs through expelling CO2
the detoxification pathways that toxins take to move through and exit your body.
This is an interesting article that talks about natural detox being about the science of liver nutrition.
The natural detox diet
A detox diet is one of the best ways of clearing the system quickly through detoxification pathways.
Our 10-day detox diet is about ridding your body of harmful fats, sugars, and overly-processed foods that can build up in the body, so all stimulants and depressants, such as alcohol and coffee, should be eliminated from your diet.
Initially, this may cause some side effects such as headaches, irritability, and tiredness, but this will subside over time.
The benefits of fruit
The bulk of the natural detox diet is made up of fruit; this is because the body can easily process fruit, and it is really cleansing.
- most stored wastes responsible for aches and pains are generally very acidic, and fruit is very alkaline. This is why fruit can help to balance the body; assisting with throwing off waste that enters the bloodstream
- the alkalinity found in fruit can help neutralise waste by-products, so they are no longer harmful to the body and can be quickly expelled; in this way, the possibility of any cleansing reactions are less likely to occur
- there is a lot of potassium in fruit, which helps to rid the system of excess water and oedema in the tissues, increasing oxygenation in the cells and raising cell vitality, a subject we discuss in greater detail in the article lymph and detox
- most fruits are a mild laxative, so it’s a wonderful intestinal broom, sweeping clean the alimentary canal
- different fruits are also ideal as a natural body cleanse ingredient, as it is easily digested and does not remain in the stomach for more than an hour
One detox fruit piece can be eaten throughout the day because it is the least taxing on the digestive system, and it is also the best way to lose weight, simply eating a small amount of fruit alone will not make you gain weight.
To get the most out of the natural detox diet, it is recommended that fruit is eaten about five to six times throughout the course of the day, how you choose to eat these fruits is entirely up to you; they can be sliced, stewed, pulped, and blended, to make the dishes more interesting.
Ginger, lemon water, herbal teas, and vegetable juice can be drunk throughout the day, to further aid elimination.
By eating lots of fruits and vegetables and drinking at least eight glasses of water a day, it will help your skin flush out toxins from the inside out.
So you can be sure you are doing all you can internally, to ensure your skin has that clear, vibrant, youthful glow.