It is great to be a blonde
With low expectations, it is straightforward to surprise people
When life gives you lemons, some people make lemonade.
Whilst others, squeeze the lemons onto their hair in hopes of achieving sun-kissed highlights.
Here at the Naked Chemist, our mantra is, mother nature takes care of all your beauty needs.
The really great thing, this also extends to having beautiful blonde hair.
Lightening your hair
Before you lighten your hair, consider what results you’ll want to achieve:
Natural lightening really only works if you have fair, light mousey hair with a fine texture. When working with darker hair, you are dealing with red and orange undertones, and these will be the first colours that are exposed,
Your blonde hair, it will get blonder, but if you have light brown hair, you might end up with some dark blonde areas; redheads you will transform into strawberry blondes.
In terms of DIY; If you have light hair, lemon juice can lighten your hair a shade or two. If you have dark brown or black hair, however, DIY recipes and specifically lemon juice won’t lighten your hair.
Natural blonde hair colour recipe
The following recipes will take your hair from light brown to medium blonde in no time at all:
What you need
- 2 cups Apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Marigold flowers
- 1 tbsp Calendula
- 1 tbsp Chamomile flowers
- 2 tbsp Rhubarb root powder
- 40ml Alcohol, vodka is suitable
- 1 Lemon
- Heat the vinegar in a saucepan, and blend in the rhubarb powder.
- Next, add the calendula, marigold, and chamomile flowers.
- Then, allow to steep for ten minutes.
- Strain the mixture into a glass jar, and add the vodka and the lemon juice.
- Finally, apply the dye to the hair and cover with a towel. Leave for 20 – 30 minutes.
- Shampoo and condition as normal, and then rinse.
Lightening dark, blonde roots
What you need
- 1 tbsp dried or fresh chamomile flowers
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed Lemon juice
- distilled water
- ceramic pan
- powdered Kaolin
- Add 2 cups of water to the cooking pan and bring to the boil.
- Add the flowers to the water and boil for 10 minutes.
- When the water level has reduced by half, add another 1/2 cup of water and 1 tbsp flowers.
- Let the water boil until it is reduced to a quarter.
- Remove from the heat and steep the flowers whilst cooling.
- When the blend cools, strain the flowers.
- Next, add the fresh lemon juice.
- Then add the kaolin to make a sticky paste, and repeat the process as above.
- Then follow the instructions as per the previous recipe.
Hair lightening lemon recipe
What you need
- 3 large lemons
- 1 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 2 bags of chamomile tea
- 1 tablespoon almond oil or coconut oil
- empty spray bottle
- Boil 1 cup of water and add the tea bags or dried flowers. Allow it to steep for 30 minutes.
- Next squeeze in the lemon juice
- Add the cinnamon, almond oil and brewed tea.
- Add to the bottle and give the mixture a good shake.
- Spray it on the areas you would like to lighten and bask in the sunlight; the sun’s rays will enhance your lighting effect.
There is a multitude of ways you can get creative lightening your hair, without using toxic chemicals.
If you have blonde hair, that does tend to go quite dull; you will find the above recipes will help to give your blonde hair colour a real lift.
Once you have made the recipes, paste or spray them onto your hair and cover your hair with cling film, you can even use a heated cap, for an additional boost, this will open the cuticles in the hair shaft, and help with processing whilst promoting conditioning.
Your hair will look visibly lighter and brighter and will last for a good few weeks.