Lovely jojoba oil has a real affinity with the skin.
Its structure closely resembles our own sebum, our skin’s natural lubricating medium.
A rich, oil-bearing desert shrub, the seeds contain a colourless, liquid wax which yields 60% oil, and although it is known as oil, it actually synthesizes a liquid wax.
The Jojoba Oil Benefits
Jojoba oil benefits are numerous.
It is extremely penetrating and is readily absorbed into the skin’s tissues without leaving an oily residue.
Anti-inflammatory: The oil is rich in lovely phytosterols and myristic acid, which help to calm an inflamed skin.
Conditioning Hair Treatment: In hair care formulae, jojoba oil is wonderfully moisturising. It penetrates deep into the cortex, helping to keep hair beautifully conditioned.
It makes a great treatment for the scalp, unlike many other occlusive carrier oils, as jojoba oil won’t just sit on the scalp clogging pores.
Instead, it penetrates deep into the hair follicles, breaking down sebum and cellular debris that has built up on the scalp so that it can be easily washed away.
Protecting: The oil mixes with our own sebum to create a breathable, protective film on the surface of the skin.
Softening: Dermatological tests reveal jojoba oil can increase the skin’s suppleness by up to 50%; it was also found that the skin tissues remained supple up to eight hours after the oil was applied.
Oily Skin Treatment: The oil is unusual in the fact that it is one of the few oils you can use on an oily skin:
- It helps to balance the production of oil, and breaks down the buildup of sebum in plugged pores.
- It contains hardly any triglycerides, so it is considered a dry emollient. This is why it doesn’t offer much slippage on the skin.
- It is readily absorbed into the skin via the hair follicles, but it won’t block the pores.
- It combines with our own sebum to create a thin, non-occlusive layer on the skin.
- Unlike other oils that are mostly occlusive, jojoba oil is unique in the fact that it allows the skin to breathe normally.
Fatty acid profile
C16:0 st Palmitic Acid 0-2%
C18:1 mo Oleic Acid 10-13%
C20:1 mo Eicosenoic Acid 66-71%
C22:0 st Behenic Acid 0-1%
C22:1 mo Docosenoic Acid 14-20%
As Jojoba oil is such a valuable ingredient for the skin, it was important to harness it’s beneficial properties in the Naked Chemist product line. It can be found in Bio Lipid Complex, Miracle Cleanse, and Nectar Treatment Balm.