Many commercial cleaners contain surfactants and ingredients that strip the skin of its natural oils and upset our natural pH, breaking down our protective barrier function, which becomes difficult to restore.
For many, cleansing is an underestimated part of the daily skincare routine, yet it plays a very important role in caring for the skin, without cleansing a buildup of debris, skin cells and sebum can reside within the pores, this makes the skin appear dull and sallow and can lead to breakouts.
Fortunately, you can create a really wonderful homemade facial cleanser, that is simple yet effective, one that will gently break down surface tension, removing oil and dirt without stripping the skin.
The following recipes will help get you started, on your DIY journey into making cleansers
Homemade facial cleanser recipes
Hydrating Cucumber Cleanser
If you suffer from dry or sensitive skin, then Cucumber should be your new best friend.
Cucumbers are rich in Vitamins and Minerals and Ascorbic Acid, they have a high water content of around 90%, so are the perfect choice if its hydration you’re looking for.
- 5 Tbsp Cucumber juice
- 2 Tbsp Aloe Vera juice
- 2 Chamomile tea bags
- 2 Tbsp Xanthan Gum or Gelatin
- 1/2 Cup infused Chamomile water
It is important to note, that there is some preparation involved with this facial cleanser.
- First, make a herbal infusion, add 2 Chamomile tea bags to the water and set aside for an hour
- Next, sprinkle the Xanthan Gum or Gelatin onto the water and allow to dissolve naturally
- Blend 1/4 Cucumber (one that has been previously peeled). Then add the Aloe Vera juice
- Finally, add the herbal infusion to the Aloe and Cucumber
The great thing about this homemade facial cleanser is that you can also use it as a face mask, the perfect antidote, for dry, dehydrated skin.
Lavender Buttermilk Cleanser
Yogurt has many balancing properties and Lavender is extremely healing.
It makes a wonderful homemade facial cleanser.
Interestingly enough, Buttermilk works as an astringent so it’s a great natural cleanser for creating a noticeable toning and tightening effect, helping to give your skin a youthful glow.
- 5 tbs of natural yogurt
- 1 tsp of oatmeal
- 1/2 Tsp honey
- 2 drops rose essential oil
- This a really simple but effective cleanser, you just mix everything together and you’re ready to apply.
- Work into the skin in small circular motions and rinse off with warm water or a damp sponge.
- Finish by toning with a natural hydrosol.
Gentle exfoliating cleanser
If you have dull, dry, sallow looking skin, then this gentle cleanser that exfoliates as it cleans, is a great option.
- 3 tbsp papaya
- 3 tbsp oatmeal
- 2 tbsp yogurt
- 1 tbs bran
- 1/2 Tsp honey
- 1 tbsp milk
- Mash the Papaya and then add Honey, Oatmeal, and Yogurt together.
- Finally, add enough milk to form a smooth paste.
- Apply the blend to the face in small circular movements.
- This will gently encourage the removal of dead skin cells.
- Leaving you with naturally glowing skin.
If your keen to learn more about making facial cleansers, these recipes are really useful.