Natural herbs will add shine and colour to your tresses.
Sourced from mother natures garden, they won’t leave your hair fragile like many chemicals.
Instead, herbs will help to boost the health of both your hair and your scalp.
So join us, as we get creative with the following recipes for different hair colours:
Ingredients that will naturally colour your hair
Herbs are perfect dyes for giving hair a visible lift.
Red Heads: Alkanet root, cranberry juice, red hibiscus plant, red wine, and rosehip tea, will all lift and brighten your hair.
Blonde hair: Calendula petals, turmeric, rhubarb stem, ginger root, and chamomile, will help to lift and lighten your hair.
Grey hair: Black tea, espresso coffee, and sage leaves; these are all ingredients that will help to lift dull, grey hair.
Darkening brown hair: Henna, black tea, parsley, rosemary, and sage, these herbs will add shine to dark hair.
Before you try out these hair colour ideas, we recommend doing a strand test first, so that you know how your hair will react to the dye.
Tea, sage and rosemary hair balm
If you have dark brown hair and want to enhance the shade and give your hair much-needed nourishment, this recipe will do the trick:
- 4 cups of water
- 3 tbsp sage leaves dried
- 3 tbsp rosemary dried
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tsp black tea
- Henna to mix
- Combine the water, herbs, vinegar and tea and simmer for 30 minutes
- Strain and add enough henna to form a paste
- Massage the mixture into your hair
- Cover with a cap or cling film and a warm towel
- Leave for 30 minutes to 60 minutes depending on the desired outcome
Flaming red wine and cranberry hair colour
This is a perfect hair colour idea if you have red hair, and want to give it a bit of a boost:
- 2 to 3 tsp ground coffee
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 4 tbsp cranberry juice
- 1 tbsp red wine
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- henna to mix
- Add the coffee to the water and steep for 20 minutes
- Strain through a coffee filter and add all remaining ingredients, except for the Henna
- Next, add enough henna to form a paste
- Massage into your hair, cover and leave for 30 minutes
Chamomile lightening balm
If you’re looking for hair colour ideas that will naturally lift blonde hair, this lovely recipe is a perfect choice:
- 1/2 cup dried chamomile flowers
- 1/2 cup boiling purified water
- 3 sticks rhubarb, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- henna or white Clay
- Make an infusion of chamomile flowers in boiling water, for 30 minutes and strain
- Next make an infusion of rhubarb, by boiling it in purified water for 15 minutes and strain
- Mix the infusions with the lemon juice and combine 1/2 cup of the liquid, with enough henna or clay to form a smooth paste
- Apply the paste to dry hair using a flat brush, working from the roots right through to the end
- Cover and leave for 30 minutes to an hour
As you can see, there is a huge array of herbs to choose from, using any of these herbs will help give your natural hair colour a lift; what colour your hair is will determine the herbs you use.
Fortunately, they are straightforward to use and can be combined and made into a simple hair rinse, shampoo, conditioner, or leave-in treatment; just be careful about what herbs you use for your blonde hair, as some of them can tint your hair a darker colour.
This is an interesting article if you’re keen to learn more about how to dye your hair with herbs.