Is it possible that you can use oil on an oily skin?
Well, the short answer is yes.
Now I agree this may sound counter intuitive, after all am I really suggesting, that applying oil to an already oily complexion is good for you’re skin?
But wait don’t panic I’m not trying to push the boundaries here, there is a method in my madness.
Your skin is an INTELLIGENT ORGAN; it knows when it’s sufficiently PROTECTED; it produces less oil when it is balanced and more of its own oil when it’s dry.
This stimulates the sebaceous glands to produce more oil, and then the skins barrier function gets out of whack, which creates a vicious cycle of events.
Whereas lovely plant oils are healing, balancing and calming, perfect for repairing an impaired skin.
PLANT OILS ARE GAME CHANGERS
That is when it comes to the health of your skin.
- They fight inflammation
- They kill bacteria
- They work as humectants, binding water to the skin
And as discussed above, over drying oily skin can cause oil glands to over compensate, so they produce excessive amount of sebum which can lead to breakouts
Below I point out some of the commonly recognised causes of acne, and how plant-based oils containing essential fatty acids can help.
For this reason, I created a number of formulas that harness the potent properties of these powerful botanicals:
My delicate facial oils have been specifically designed to help to NORMALISE an OILY COMBINATION skin type, they balance the skin’s oil production, whilst providing a protective, breathable barrier.
Added into the mix is a blend of anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory oils, that heal and soothe the skin, the perfect antidote for an oily, blemished skin.
A+ retinol sleep oil. Containing a unique blend of Vitamin A – the noramlising vitamin, helps to combat bacteria in the pore. It is also infused with healing botanicals, that work to naturally balance oils in your skin.
Miracle cleanse has been formulated with healing botanical oils, to protect as it cleanses.
Bio lipid complex contains the perfect balance of phytosterols and ceramides, to bring skin in a state of flux back into balance.
Naturlene treatment balm has potent healing herbs, butters and phytosterols, to facilitate healing on a deeper level.
Clean, green botanical ingredients with no nasty astringents or chemicals, that are just pure, natural and kind to your skin.
HOW BOTANICAL BEAUTIES HELP
The old school way of thinking was that oily skin doesn’t require more oil, because they already have high levels of sebum production.
It was considered that adding oil to an oily skin would exacerbate the skin more, clogging pores and creating breakouts.
Yet many oils have anti-inflammatory properties that calm and soothe.
Chamomile and calendula are both good examples of such oils, helping to stave off inflammation.
Research has found that calendula works to stimulate cellular regeneration, which can also help to keep pores free from bacteria.
Botanical oils that are rich in linoleic acid, such as borage, rose hip seed and hemp, will help to break down sebum and reduce inflammation in the follicle.
So rather than battling oily skin blues by using harsh astringents, which causes oil glands to overcompensate, why not reach for a beautiful botanical blend instead, to calm inflammation and bacterial proliferation and bring it back into balance.
THE BEST FACE OILS FOR OILY SKIN
- Plum oil is a non-greasy oil that re-balances the skin’s oil production. It is extremely protective, strengthening the stratum corneum your outer layer of skin.
- Neem oil has powerful anti-viral and anti-microbial properties. It is beneficial to those who suffer from a variety of oily skin conditions, including acne and skin infections such as boils. Used in very small amounts, it is also the best oil for skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema
- Sesame oil is wonderful for an oily skin, due to its anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties. Fast absorbing and non-greasy, this is the perfect oil for balancing over active sebaceous glands
- Jojoba oil is a light to medium liquid wax, composed of liquid wax esters and has a structure that closely resembles human sebum. If there is a build up of natural oils in the skin, topical application of jojoba, can dissolve and remove excess sebum
- Macadamia oil like jojoba in that it is also similar to human sebum, perfect for regulating an oily skin type
- Hemp seed oil contains ceramides that are protective, anti-inflammatory and rich in fatty acids. This oil is very similar to our own natural sebum. Sadly the shelf life of hemp oil is very short, around 3 months