What is exfoliation?
It’s a question my customers often ask me.
- It encourages cellular renewal process
- It keeps skin looking fresh and healthy
- It helps beneficial ingredients, to penetrate deeper
THE BENEFITS OF EXFOLIATION
- Unclogs pores
- Removes oil and shine
- Boosts collagen production
- Lightens sunspots on skin
- Improves skin tone and texture
- Removes dull, flaky skin
- Brings nutrients to the surface
- It reduces the appearance of fine lines
WHAT EXACTLY IS EXFOLIATION
The general principle is that you are removing dead skin cells.
The skin does have its own natural cellular process of exfoliation, technically referred to in the skin care industry as desquamation.
To constantly keep skin youthful, it’s important to aid the removal of old cells that cling to the skin’s outermost surface, especially as we age, because this natural shedding process begins to slow down.
When skin cells don’t shed they start to build up on the skin’s surface, this can lead to premature aging, uneven texture and dull, sallow skin.
A build up of skin cells can clog the skin’s pores, which can lead to breakouts.
Dehydration is also an important part of skin exfoliation, which is something i discuss in greater detail in the clear skin difference.
CELLULAR PROCESSES SLOW AS WE AGE
- Skin loses its resilience and bounce, due to a significant decrease in elastin and our internal scaffolding collagen
- From the age of 25, our body’s natural response is to slow down its exfoliation rate
- The production of the all important lipids in our skin begin to reduce, which can compromise barrier repair
- Oestrogen is prevalent in young women, but reduces with age, which can thin and dry the skin
- Blood flow and nourishment to the skin’s tissues, begins to significantly reduce, causing the skin to become dull
So as you can see, it is really important to keep encouraging your own cellular renewal cycle.
Fortunately, there are a number of different modalities and treatments, that can help you with this process.
The philosophy at the core of the naked chemist brand, is all about gentle exfoliating treatments, that won’t cause inflammation in the skin.