- It’s your armour.
- Your protection.
- Your genetic heritage.
Therefore you need to preserve it and take care of it.
Just think about all of the external elements, your body comes into contact with on a daily basis.
- Make up
- The weather
- Ultra violet light
- Environmental assaults
- Changes in temperature
Your skin protects you from invading assaults, acting as a barrier to the outside world.
It also makes a pigment known as melanin, a chemical that protects against damaging ultraviolet light.
ALL HAIL HUMAN SKIN
Below are just a few of the functions, that your awesome skin carries out on a daily basis:
- Its a detoxification organ
- It protects your inner organs
- It moderates your core temperature
- It synthesis Vitamin D from the sun
- It helps to excrete toxins through sweat
- It helps to keep chronic conditions and infections at bay
- Your skin helps to shut out invading bacteria and viruses
- It is your bodies first line of defence against external aggressors
- Human skin contains lipids or oils, that keep it naturally moisturised
- It constantly keeps tabs on what is going on inside your internal environment
- It intelligently responds to what you eat, what you put on it and what you drink
- It maintains it’s integrity, by constantly repairing itself while you are sleeping
- It tans and creates melanin, to protect you from damaging UV rays and photoaging
- It’s so absorbent you can apply medical patches, that help topical drugs go to the source
- It is a mirror to the outside world, letting you know of any imbalances within the body
- It cleverly plays a dual role, it has a semi permeable membrane that traps in water and keeps it hydrated, whilst also allowing water to evaporate when you sweat
- It contains cells that are fantastic communication systems, telegraphing health and illness, pleasure or pain
So I think you’ll agree when I say, your skin really is amazing.