Many commercial cleansers contain surfactants.
These ingredients strip the skin of its natural oils and upset our natural pH.
They break down our protective barrier function, which becomes difficult to restore.
For many, cleansing is an underestimated part of the daily skin care routine,
Yet it plays a very important role in caring for the skin….
Without a good cleanser a build up of debris, skin cells and sebum, can reside within the follicular wall, this makes the skin appear dull and sallow.
Fortunately, you can create a really wonderful homemade facial cleanser, that is simply yet effective.
One that will gently breaks down surface tension, removing oil and dirt without stripping the skin.
Check out our recipes below, to get you started;
Homemade Facial Cleanser
Hydrating Cucumber Cleanser
If you suffer from a dry or sensitive skin, then Cucumber should be your new best friend.
Cucumbers are rich in Vitamins and Minerals and Ascorbic Acid, they have a high water content of around 90%, so are the perfect choice if its hydration you’re looking for.
- 5 Tbsp Cucumber juice
- 2 Tbsp Aloe Vera juice
- 2 Chamomile tea bags
- 2 Tbsp Xanthan Gum or Gelatine
- 1/2 Cup infused Chamomile water
It is important to note, that there is some preparation involved with this homemade facial cleanser.
- First make a herbal infusion, add 2 Chamomile teabags to the water and set aside for an hour
- Next sprinkle the Xanthan Gum or Gelatine, onto the water and allow to dissolve naturally
- Blend 1/4 Cucumber (one that has been previously peeled). Then add the Aloe Vera juice
- Finally add the herbal infusion to the Aloe and Cucumber
The great thing about this homemade facial cleanser, is that you can also use it as a face mask, the perfect antidote, for a dry, dehydrated skin.
Lavender Buttermilk Cleanser
Yogurt has many balancing properties and Lavender is extremely healing.
It makes a wonderful homemade facial cleanser.
Interestingly enough, Buttermilk works as an astringent so it’s a great natural cleanser for creating a noticeable toning and tightening effect, helping to give your skin a youthful glow.
- 2 drops Lavender Essential oil
- 5 Tbsp of Buttermilk
- 1 Tsp of Natural Yogurt
- 1 Tsp Honey
- This a really simple but effective cleanser, you just mix everything together and your ready to apply.
- Work into the skin in small circular motions and rinse off with warm water or a damp sponge.
- Finish by toning with a natural hydrosol.
Gentle Exfoliating Cleanser
If you have dull, dry, sallow looking skin, then this gentle cleanser that exfoliates as it cleans, is a great option.
- 3 Tbsp Papaya
- 3 Tbsp Oatmeal
- 2 Tbsp Yogurt
- 1/2 Tsp Honey
- 1 Tbsp Milk
- Mash the Papaya, then add Honey, Oatmeal and Yogurt together.
- Finally add enough milk to form a smooth paste.
- Apply the blend to the face in small circular movements.
- This will gently encourage the removal of dead skin cells.
- Leaving you with naturally glowing skin.