This is the power flower for us girls.
These potent flowers yield polyunsaturated fatty acid, which is then converted into prostaglandin’s.
This Fatty Acid is of major importance to the health of the body, which is why we often hear about Evening Primrose being a plant that promotes health.
Gamma Linolenic Acid
Here at the Naked Chemist we are always about what goes on goes in! And that couldn’t be truer about this oil, which is often referred to as omega 6.
Applying the essential fatty acid gamma linolenic acid (GLA) topically and taking it internally, will not only help promote healthy skin, but also a wide range of health benefits within the body.
So this is one oil that should be in your beauty routine, that is if you want healthy skin, hair and nails.
So let’s dig a little deeper, and take a look at all the wonderful evening primrose oil benefits.
EVENING PRIMROSE OIL BENEFITS
PROPERTIES AND USES
Treats dry sensitive skin complaints:
- The oil contains as much as 70% Linoleic Acid
- For this reason alone, it has to be top of our list as an oil for treating dry and sensitive skin conditions
A known anti-inflammatory:
- It has one of the richest sources of GLA, making it an extremely moisturising ingredient
- Helps to relieve conditions of the skin, such as Eczema and Psoriasis
Extremely skin repairing:
- The GLA’s are precursors of cell membrane constituents, helping to restore an impaired acid mantle
- Studies have shown that using as little as 15% in a blend, can significantly help to repair the skin’s barrier function
It can help with barrier repair:
- Contains high amount of Gamma Linoleic Acid (GLA)
- This essential acid is important for maintaining the normal function of the epithelial barrier membrane. We have written extensively about barrier repair, in the article understanding the acid mantle.
It has elastinase properties:
- Evening Primrose Oil benefits are numerous in skincare, it plays a significant role in increasing skin flexibility
- The oil helps to lock in moisture in the skins tissues, hydrating the upper layers of the tissue, helping to keep skin plump
A very anti-ageing oil:
- It is extremely rich in tocopherols, making it the perfect anti-oxidant treatment oil
Fatty Acid Profile
Palmitic acid (C16:0) 5-8 %
Stearic acid (C18:0) 1..5%
Oleic acid ( C18:1) 8-12%
Linoleic acid (C18:2) 65-75%
Gamma Linolenic acid (C18:3) 9-11%