Dry skin is a tricky skin type to treat.
And surprisingly it’s a really common condition.
It’s not easy to diagnose why skin becomes dry.
Simply because there are so many triggers, a few of which I have listed below:
CAUSES OF DRY SKIN
- Sun damaged skin
- Hot baths and showers
- Poor home care regime
- Irritating ingredients
- Pollution, the environment
- A lack of the gene filagrin
- Natural metabolic changes in the skin
- a lack of essential fatty acids in our diet, such as linoleic acid
- Over treating the skin, topical retinoid is a classic example
- Lifestyle, recreational and medicinal drugs, smoking and alcohol
- Regularly washing with soap, this can rob the moisture from your skin
- Harsh, astringent products can cause inflammation in the skin tissues
- Dry skin on face, can be due to a hormonal imbalance, such as pregnancy or menopause
- Low humidity levels and low temperature, drying heat in winter, air conditioning in summer, can lead to dehydrated skin
- Ageing, for instance sudoriferous glands becoming less active with age, causing skin to become dry and parched
- Over stimulation from incorrectly performed beauty treatments, this may include microdermabrasion, chemical peels, laser treatments or overzealous exfoliation
So what exactly does happen when our skin begins to dry out?
Dry skin, is usually a sign that the skins protective barrier has become impaired.
This can cause nerve endings to become exposed and surface cells to dry out, which can make skin extremely sensitive.
Once gaps appear between the cell walls, skin becomes red, itchy and inflamed.
Poor barrier function combined with insufficient lipids between epidermal cells, allows for easier penetration of foreign bodies, and irritating ingredients to penetrate deeper into our dermis, causing inflammation in our skins tissues.
This inflammation can cause a number of bio-chemical reactions to occur within our skin, which over time can lead to the breakdown of fibroblasts, collagen and elastin in our dermis our internal scaffolding becomes undermined, leading to visible signs of premature ageing.
For this reason dry and dehydrated skin conditions, need to be treated with a good skin care routine and the right ingredients.
Want to know the best ingredients for a dry skin formula? Then read all about it here.