Botanic Name: Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil.
Macadamia is a very unusual vegetable oil, that has a wonderful affinity with the skin.
Macadamia Nut Oil
This oil is fabulous for a dry, mature skin, which is due to its interesting Fatty Acid profile.
Palmitoleic acid: Macadamia Nut Oil contains one of the highest sources of Palmitoleic Fatty Acids, between 16 to 23%.
Palmitoleic is vital for delaying skin and cell aging, as our skin ages it rapidly becomes depleted in Palmitoleic Acid,
This is why is Macadamia is the perfect inclusion for anti ageing formulas.
Oleic acid: This Fatty Acid gives Macadamia Nut Oil its fantastic regeneration and moisturizing properties.
Linoleic acid: This is a wonderful fatty acid, that helps to prevent trans epidermal water loss (TEWL), from the skins delicate tissues.
High in phytosterols: These have a real affinity with the skin.
Plant phytosterols are the building blocks of our cell membrane.
These sterols work the same way that cholesterol does in our skin, which is one of the reasons why Macadamia nut oil has great skin penetration abilities.
Phytosterols are also calming and healing, which is why the oil is perfect for repairing the skin’s barrier function.
Properties of Macadamia Nut Oil
- A light weight, medium nutty oil
- Its chemical profile is very similar to that of human sebum
- It is a very stable oil, with a shelf life of twenty four months
- It has a non greasy feel on the skin, which gives the oil a nice workable film on the skin
- Its Palmitoleic acid profile, makes it the perfect choice for a mature or dry skin
- Phytosterols are protective, aiding in skin recovery
- The Phytosterols act like cortisone on the skin, helping to reduce itchiness and inflammation
- The Linoleic Fatty Acid content, makes it great for a parched, dehydrated skin, that has difficulty retaining moisture
Fatty Acid profile
C12:0 st Lauric Acid Traces
C14:0 st Myrsitc acid 0.4 -1.6%
C160: st palmitic Acid 7-10%
C16:1 mo palmitolecic acid 16 -23%
C18:0 st syteric Acid 1.5 – 5%
C181 mo Oleic Acid 54-63%
C18:2 pu Linoleic acid 1-3%
C20:0 st Arachidic Acid 1.5 -3%
C20:1 mo Eicosenoic Acid 1-3%