Matricaria is Latin for mater, which means mother.
Which is why this essential oil is good for us girls.
It can sort out a number of female disorders, as the name suggests.
The German Chamomile plant, grows on long thin stems and has tiny daisy like flowers.
The flowers have bright yellow centres and white collars.
The oil has a warm, strong herb flavour with a fruity undertone.
Whilst I do love Roman Chamomile, his is my favourite oil from the chamomile family, which has a real affinity with the skin.
It is often referred to as blue chamomile.
I love this deep inky, midnight blue colour the oil produces, which is steam distilled from the flowers of the Matricaria Chamomilla plant.
The distinctive colour is due to it containing between 2 and 5% chamazulene, the chemical compound that gives the oil it’s lovely soothing, anti inflammatory properties.
BENEFITS OF GERMAN CHAMOMILE
German chamomile oil has many benefits:
- Mild sedative
So why is it so good for the skin?
It penetrates deep into the layers of your skin where its potent anti-inflammatory action, restoring and soothing irritated skin, burns, bruises, and other skin conditions.
- Useful for sensitive conditions, reducing redness in the skin
- Minimises the appearance of broken capillaries
- The leaves have potent anti-inflammatory properties, helping to calm inflamed skin conditions including; acne, rashes, stings and burns
- It’s a lovely calming and sedative oil, inducing a feeling of relaxation
- It contains around 50% bisabolol, an active ingredient in Chamomile
- Great for dry skin conditions
- It is an anti-allergen
- It’s an analgesic
- It is anti-bacterial
- It is also a wonderful natural anaesthetic
- Because it is an antioxidant, it helps to prevent premature ageing in the skin
It is an extremely healing oil, especially if you have sensitive skin, helping to reduce redness.
German chamomile oil is widely used in formulations that are designed to improve dry, inflamed, or irritated skin.
It is the oil you would turn to if you wanted to treat specific conditions such as eczema and dermatitis.
As you can see there are so many wonderful benefits of German Chamomile.