Your going to be in your skin your whole life
So you might as well get comfortable with it
Want to get the skinny on skin?
Don’t quite know where to start?
Then these cool facts, will soon have you loving the skin your in.
Facts About Skin
- Skin is made up of 3 layers the epidermis, dermis and subcutaneous.
- At it’s thickest, your skin is only between 3 mm (0.10 inch) thick.
- Skin weighs in at about 4 kg or 9lbs, equalling 10% of your body weight.
- Skin is the largest organ on the body, between 1.5-2.0 square metres (16 – 21 sq ft.) in total.
- Skin is so much more then skin deep, it is thickest on the soles of the feet, 1.4 mm deep and thinnest around the eyes at 0.5 mm thick.
- Unbelievably skin houses around 650 sweat glands, 20 blood vessels and around 1,000 nerve endings now that’s impressive.
- Skin helps to retain water and important body fluids and electrolytes.
- Skin is a protective barrier to harmful toxins, such as UV light, chemicals and foreign bodies
- One of the interesting facts about skin, is that the colour is determined by a protein called melanin, this is a natural sun protection factor, which helps shield us from harmful UVA rays.
- Skin is covered in lipids or oils which help to keep it soft and supple, astringent products such as soap and detergents, can strip these lipids.
- Melanocytes are the cells responsible for producing and distributing melanin around the body. We have roughly 60,000 melanocytes in our body, but it is not the colour of our skin that dictates the quantity of melanocytes, it is actually to do with the activity of these cells around the body.
- Roughly 1 in 110,00 people suffer from the condition albinism, which is due to a lack of melanocytes.
- Skin cools you with sweat when your hot, and restricts blood supply to the extremities when cold.
- Skin contains an unseen supportive network of fibres, known as collagen and elastin which act as mini shock absorbers
- Skin is a circuit board, how cool! Nerves transfer information and respond to different stimuli, continually passing information to the central nervous system.
- Skin helps safeguard from potential injuries, by having five different types of pain receptors.
- Skin allows us to have a sense of touch, these receptors are known as Messier corpuscles. They respond to pressure of around 20 milligrams, this weight is similar to the weight of a fly.
- Skin contains its own mini exfoliation system which is known as desquamation, helping to reveal shiny new skin underneath.
- Skin sheds around 50 thousand cells every minute, over 50% of the dust in your home comes from skin that has been shed
- Did you know that boils are caused by staphylococcal bacteria; this bacteria can enter through the smallest incision in the skin and travel down the hair shaft, to create an infection which becomes a boil
On a final note, if its random or gory facts about skin your after, here’s one….
There are books at the Harvard law school, that are bound in skin, which was either taken from the poor or stripped from criminals that were executed.
One of the volumes is called, De Human Corporis Fabrica, which translated means, on the Fabric of the human body, how very apt.